Virtual Rig Up
Haul on Mudder's sized 42 bra and get your pillow-stuffed arse ready for the
2020 Virtual Mummers Rig Up!
All mummers 'llowed in!
Virtual Rig Up
1:30 pm to 2:00 pm NL time |
Saturday, December 12
Need some inspiration for your Mummers Rig this Christmas?
Join the Mummers Festival Board of Directors onlilne and learn how to get 'rigged up' for your mummering antics this Christmas! Choosing the best mummers disguise is an important part of the tradition. Mix and match a disguise from whatever comes out of your Nan's closet! Find the perfect tea cozy hat. Fashion the best lace veil. With fellow mummers for inspiration, getting the perfect disguise together couldn't be easier!
Submit your best Rig Up photos for a chance to win a Purity Gift Package filled with traditional Newfoundland syrup, cookies and peppermint knobs!
THE ART OF DISGUISE
Mummering is the art of disguise. Maybe that's why mummers are also called Guisers (as in...disguisers). So when dressing as a mummer you must hide your identity. Here are a few tips:
1. CHANGE YOUR BODY SHAPE. Stuff a pillow in your pants, make a humpback, wear a travel pillow under your shirt around your neck
2. COVER YOUR FACE! Don't let people see your eyes or your teeth! That's a giveaway! Lace curtains and pillowcases with eye- and mouth-holes are classic covers. Halloween masks work well too.
3. CHANGE YOUR HEIGHT. If you're short, wear a high hat. If you're tall, crouch down when you walk
4. WEAR CLOTHING YOU WOULDN'T NORMALLY WEAR. Crossdressing is a classic look for mummers. Guys, throw on a dress or a bra outside your clothing. Gals, throw on a huntsman jacket. Let's smash those old stereotypes!
5. CHANGE THE WAY YOU WALK AND TALK. The classic mummer speak is to inhale while talking. And the way you walk and dance should change.